Monday, January 10, 2011

22 weeks, 4 days

Another week, another milestone.

On the weekend, we attended a very informative Multiples Birth class conducted by a Midwife who has had 2 sets of twins (talk about credibility!) at the Mater Women's Hospital. It was a full class with at least 10 couples and the 3 hour long session could certainly be stretched out to 6 hours because there was just so much information!

It was lovely being in the same room with other couples who are expecting twins. Many of whom conceived via IVF and no doubt we all have been on a similar journey to get to where we are.

I have read much about breastfeeding two babies at once and it's great to be given a demonstration with a fully clothed midwife - it is definitely possible with the aid of a great feeding pillow that not only supports the mother's back and also enables her to have both children with her at the same time! We are so getting that pillow!

In addition to the practicals and strategies on coping with twins including avoiding eye contact with strangers in public places if you want to get the shopping over and done with to putting on easy listening music in the nursery so that babies are used to noises, we were also given a tour of the nursery.

It was a lovely floor that can take up to a maximum of 90 babies at any one time. It was heartening to see how personal those spaces or 'pods' are. They are about 8 cots to each pod and each cot has 2 recliners which allows mums and dads to spend time 'kangeroo cuddling' or feeding their baby(ies). I was teary a few times when I saw more hands-on the dads were! It's wonderful that hands-on parenting from dads are now a common sight and no longer a stigma like in the past.

Today, I went to see my Gestational Diabetes Doctor and she was very assuring and encouraging about my progress. I stepped on the scales and in the 8 weeks since I first saw her, I have put on 3kg. She is very please with that because as she rightfully pointed out. I am overweight pre-pregnancy - to have lost 6kg in first trimester and only put on 3kg so far, is NEUTRAL weight gain and absolutely perfect for someone like me. The babies are growing on track with their gestational age so all is good.

I am relief and very grateful. Bring on more pokes, babies!


No comments: