Sunday, June 20, 2010

12 more days to vacation


It's time for my annual vacation and it comes as no surprise to many that in 12 days, I will be heading back to the country of my birth - Singapore. Eversince I made Australia my home some 10 years ago, it comes as no surprise that there's an unspoken expectation for me to catch up with my parents face-to-face annually (+ weekly phone calls + monthly remittance + extra $ on CNY and birthdays, etc). I am grateful that the flight time is only 8 hours hence it's affordable and not energy zapping as compared to others who live on the other side of the world.

Naturally, I am looking forward to catching up with family and friends. They have the ability to nourish me with their love and acceptance that sustains me until my next trip, really.

With vacation comes the lifestyle of a woman of leisure. As all my family and friends work during the day and can only catch up in the evenings (unless they have the day off on my account), my mornings are filled with laps at the swimming pool (so that I can eat, fit into my clothes and not resort to wearing the sarong on the return trip back to Aus) followed by leisurely local breakfast before heading out for the day.

When it comes to the variety of activities to do in Singapore, there isn't much for the picking except for food and shopping. In this respect, the choices are boundless. For this trip, I look forward to checking out the following:

  • Orchard Ion
  • Mandarin Gallery
  • 313@Somerset
  • Marina Bay Sands Shopping Gallery
  • High Tea at The Fullerton
  • Buffet at the Tiffin Room, Raffles Hotel
  • Sentosa
  • Local eateries (e.g. Steamboat, Ramen, Kueh Chap, Chee Kway, Chai Tau Kway, Yong Tau Foo, dried Mee Pok with fishballs, Assam Fish Head, BBQ stingray on banana leaf, Pepper Crab, etc)
  • Mum's cooking, naturally
For now, I am happily 'eating out my fridge' so that I will not have any fresh food left in by the time we depart and I also have a few containers of meals that I have frozen when we return so that I don't have to drag myself to the supermarket on the same day as I get home.

Vacation, here I come!

No comments: