Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Art of Packing and Unpacking for DINKS*

Yes the countdown - 10 more days! This is especially annoying for those who are not going on a vacation in 10 days, anticipation for those who are going sometime soon and reminisce for those who have only very recently returned from one.

I am known for being an organised person both professionally and personally. For example, after checking into my hotel room, the following is carried out:

  • Unzip my suitcase
  • Place bag of toiletries on the vanity in the bathroom
  • Hang huge draw string laundry bag made of linen behind the bathroom door
  • Remove extra hangers from my suitcase
  • Hang up all my clothes according to colours (great for early morning starts)
  • Lingerie into the top drawer (bras on one side, panties on the other)
  • PJs and my small 'pouch' of accessories on the bottom drawer
  • Remove my shoes from the shoes' bag and place them in a straight line (if possible)
  • Place empty suitcase in the wardrobe (if it fits)
  • Place my book / reading material on the bedside table
  • Plug the mobile phone charger into the wall socket and connect my iphone
  • Plug the digital camera charger into another wall socket and re-charge the camera
Once all that is out of sight and out of mind, I am able to relax with a pot of tea.

Last night while assisting Jared with the laundry, I did what I have never done before and that is, pack 11 days before our vacation!

The earliest I would pack for a vacation is 48 hours prior or at least 5 days prior (if I am going on a snow ski holiday because there's so much stuff to bring). If it were for business, it would be 12 hours prior because I have mastered the art of packing for this purpose.

It took me all of five minutes to put together everything I need for this upcoming vacation! Yes, you read correct. Five minutes.

I attribute this to the Season. It's winter down here and scorching hot summer up there. Naturally, I have not been wearing much of my summer clothes so it was a very easy exercise of removing several short summer dresses, lycra pants (don't need much ironing), a few fancy tops, resort wear attire, etc.

All of them are now laid neatly on the bed of our guest bedroom to be packed into our one GIGANTIC bag next week. We tend to bring between the both of us:
  • 1 gigantic bag - which 'houses' both our clothes, shoes, toiletries, etc
  • 1 medium size cabin bag (which we bring on the plane) - which 'houses' a smaller size cabin bag that 'houses' comfy outfits for the aeroplane, an extra set of day clothes for each of us (in the case the gigantic bag goes to a different country) and reading materials
Those cabin bags comes in very handy during our vacations and I believe you know what I am talking about - shopping!!!!!

10 more days....I shall be a woman of leisure for the duration of my vacation because I've worked hard for it! :)

*DINKS = Double Income No Kids

No comments: