Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Another Milestone: 12 weeks 5 days

Today, I was greeted by my nemesis - Constipation! I shall not go into too much details except to share with you that it was certainly not a good morning to be detained as we had a 7:45am appointment with the Queensland Ultrasound for Women. To cut a potentially disturbing story short, I was very comfortable by the time I had my all important appointment.

For the last few days, I have been wondering if this pregnancy is a figment of my imagination because the nausea has definitely abated (touch wood that it does not return with a vengence tonight!).

In we went to a large room with an even larger LCD screen hanging on the wall - it must have been at least 60 inch! The Sonographer was very friendly and assuring as she applied warm gel on my tummy and began manuveouring the thingy on my belly.

WOW! What we saw absolutely blew us away! The quality of the moving images were AMAZING! We saw our children.

  • They were very energetic - constantly moving and never staying still
  • One was sucking the finger on the left hand (I am left handed)
  • One was shielding his/her face with the hand (just like Jared)
  • Both with very strong heartbeats that sounded like galloping horses
  • One was hiccuping regularly!
The Sonographer took many images and checked many aspects of our children. We saw my placenta, ovaries, the blood distribution, ambilical cords, etc. It was absolutely AMAZING, to state the least.

As with this type of high tech scanning, there's also the other confronting aspect.

Twin #1 is growing very well.

Twin #2 is growing very well and has a complication with an enlarged bladder. We hope that it's just a case of him / her not emptying the bladder this morning and not something more sinister which can be detrimental to his/her well being.

The next is to see my Obstetrician for our 13th week scan next Monday to talk further with him about this and our next BIG scan is in 4 weeks time when I am 16 weeks pregnant to ascertain if this complication has abated.

I now understand what it means to feel helpless as a mother. There is nothing I can do to help Twin #2 except have words with him/her and also to keep a positive outlook - that's one of the best traits I can pass on to our children.

Before I conclude, I would like to offer the following prayer to me and also to all mothers:

Heavenly Father, creator of all things,
you have been pleased to enable
my husband and me to collaborate with you in conceiving our children.
Thank you for your gracious gift.
Help me to guard this new life carefully and do nothing to hurt them in anyway.

After our children's birth, let us lavish them with love and
bring them up in your love and service so that
they will become children of yours and inherit your kingdom.

Be with us, O Lord, in this greatest of tasks to comfort,
strengthen, calm and enlighten us. Amen.

No comments: