Thursday, July 8, 2010

Singapore so far...

Today marks our 7th day in Singapore and much of our time has been spent with my parents. It has been great so far catching up with them, living with them and tucking into mum's home cooking!

I admire my parents on so many levels. They lead exciting and full lives, always putting others before themselves and are very giving and generous.

What have we done so far?

Orchard Road
We did a quick walk around in the new shopping malls and have come to the following conclusions:
  • There are way too many shopping centres located on Orchard Road
  • There's no point of difference in all the shopping centres as the same brand of retail stores keep popping up
  • Orchard Ion feels too claustrophobic and I prefer 313@Somerset
  • How many more 'Food Republic' Food Courts does Orchard Road require?!
Marina Bay Sands
I have shared my personal views on this establishment via my facebook profile

Resorts World Sentosa
Great destination for the family. Easy to navigate and oh-so-cheap to get to. $3 flat rate on the monorail from Vivo to Sentosa and back!

Universal Studios Singapore
I am glad we bought advanced tickets for this because it's practically sold out every single day. As compared to Universal Studios in LA, this is certainly much much smaller. However, that makes it incredibly easy to walk around - one cannot get lost, ever! Despite two roller coaster rides not in operation (which was very disappointing), we spent 6 hours exploring the park - going on 'The Mummy' Roller Coaster ride (twice), watched numerous shows (4D Shrek was brilliant), had a very cheap and yummy lunch at St Louis' and the many retail stores offer merchandise to suit everyone - we love the mugs and only bought 2 because of its weight!

Vivo Shopping Centre
I still love this shopping centre - it has everything I want and is only 20 minutes on the bus from my parents' home. They even have my favourite HK dessert - Honeymoon Desserts!

Shopping Update
So far, I have not bought anything other than the mugs from Universal Studios and a large bag of pop corn from Garretts for my parents.

I am disappointed with the quality of sales I have seen so far - a lot of 'junk' is being put out. For example, Zara. What's with the bad quality? I was so disappointed and asked a sales associate where the non-sale items are. They were just as blah! Oh well, at least I have not burnt a hole in my pocket!

What's happening today (Thurs)?
We will be heading to Marche for lunch before going our separate ways for a few hours. Jared will be checking out the sales at the numerous helicopter shops and I will be heading to Paragon and Tangs before heading back to my parents for dinner. (As we will be staying elsewhere next week, we are capitalising on our time with them as they work full time)

What's happening tomorrow (Fri)?
  • Quick lunch catch up with my dear friend of 25 years
  • Tea and catch up with another dear friend
  • Movie (the most recent Twilight) and dinner with my friend and our husbands
What's happening the day after tomorrow (Sat)?
  • Catch up with my ailing 84 year old grandmother
  • Dinner with 4 friends over Indonesian Food (Jared's favourite cuisine)
What's happening on Sunday?
  • Leisurely day with mum since dad's working
  • Pack our bags because we'll be moving to the hotel on Monday due to Jared's work commitments

No comments: