Monday, July 26, 2010

Remembering my roots...

I am often reminded that the best way to move forward in life is to call on my roots and to draw strength from my family and the generations past.

My grandparents from both sides of the family are immigrants to Singapore. I cannot imagine the sacrifices they have had to make in leaving their birth countries and giving it a good go in a foreign land. Their desperation and staunch determination for a better life would be the key drivers for this decision. Today, I know exactly how I have come to acquire those traits that have and will continue to see me through the waves of life. To them, I am eternally grateful.

Growing up as an only child, my parents ensured that I was harnessed with skills for survival in the big-bad-world beyond their 3 room HDB flat and imposed just enough constraints to ensure that I did not stray too far.

Assuring me of their support and acceptance in all the decisions I have chosen even if they don't agree with some of them must have been tough and necessary because they understand the need for me to make my own mistakes. Afterall, I am just as stubborn as they are!

Looking back on the holiday back to the country of my birth makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I am full of admiration for my parents because they are constantly evolving and do not conform to the societal pressures, one bit.

Their beginnings like most people are very humble. They bought a HDB that they could afford and paid for it up front back in 1978 (no mortgage!) and decided to stop at one hence they were able to retire very early in life (one of the advantages of having a child).

This trip has been one of the best because we did not have a single argument (miracle!), listened without judgement and displayed actions that demonstrated love and full acceptance.

Even though we are a family separated by geographical locations, we continue to communicate weekly and I am grateful to have the means to spend time with them annually.

I am who I am because of them and the generations past. Their life experiences have given me the convictions required to move forward everytime I am being pushed back and to stand up tall everytime I am being knocked down. Thank you.

No comments: