Friday, June 25, 2010

Home is where my Heart is


A few weekends ago, a friend asked my husband a seemingly innocent and poignant question - "where is home?" I assume most people would refer that to location of their physical home / country of residence, etc.

My husband's response completely melted my heart,
"Anywhere in the world so long as my spouse is by side."
Here is another example why I am deeply in love this man.

I have lived in this gorgeous country with abundance for 10 years and consider her to be my first (adoptive) home because I have been incredibly blessed and lucky to have been able to assimilate to her way of life, relatively easily and that's not to say that there weren't any bumps along the way. Those of us who have undertaken this journey are acutely aware of how it differs for the individual / family for a wide variety of reasons. Again, I am very bless and lucky.

Yes, the public transport network can be better however it has taught me time management and the time spent on the train / bus has enabled me to appreciate the variety of landscapes, marvel at mother nature, wake up 'properly' prior to getting into the office, calm down after an intense day in the office so that I don't bring 'work baggage' home and observe human behaviour at its best and not so desireable.

Yes, the operating hours of retail stores in the city on weekdays and sundays close at 6pm and in the suburbs, late night shopping occours on Thursdays where the shopping centres shut at 9pm. These operating hours may seem restrictive to others who live in cities which never sleeps however it has taught me that my free time should not be spent at shopping centres and the important of work/life balance involving family, friends or whatever one desires that does not include being in queues, fighting for carpark spots, etc.

Yes, it is quiet at night - no noisy neighbours (thank goodness), scarce traffic on the road (what a bonus), etc. This has taught me to slow down, breathe in and out, and the simple pleasures in life like making a cup of tea and settling down with a good book.

Yes, eating out is expensive even take away / fast food however we have great fresh produce in this country. It has taught me the importance of shopping seasonally and only once a week. Cooking is a joy as it enables me to rid my corporate life at the end of the day and bask in domestic bliss. It has also made me appreciate going out to a restaurant/ cafe once a week! In fact, it's a wonderful treat!

Here's what a typical weekday is like for me:
6:15am - Alarm goes off and one of us turns on the LCD in the bedroom
6:30am - We watch the morning news
6:40am - One of us fixes breakfast and brings it back to bed
7:00am - I am in the shower
7:15am - Grab my lunch & snacks from the fridge and drive to the train station
7:25am - Train arrives
8:20am - In my office with a big glass of water
4:15pm - Leave the office (if I don't have to work late!)
4:35pm - Train arrives
4:55pm - Train arrives at husband's office
5:00pm - We drive home
5:15pm - I start cooking dinner
5:45pm - Dinner is served
6:15pm - Kitchen gets cleaned and is closed for the night
6:30pm onwards - watch tv, read, surf the internet, on the telephone, etc
9:30pm - I am in bed reading a book
10:00pm - Lights' out and time for bedtime

Here's what a typical weekend is like for me:
6:30am - Rise and shine. One of us fixes breakfast usually Bacon & Eggs
7:30am - Shower and gets ready to drop husband off at the Aeroclub
7:45am - Husband's at the club and I drive to the supermarket
8:00am - I spend at least 45 mins doing the weekly shopping
9:00am - Put all the shopping away, starts cooking 3 meals for the following week + snacks that we bring to work and tidying of the home
12:00pm - Picks husband up from the club, heads home for lunch and do whatever we want at home / we may have friends over for lunch
5:00pm - Head out for a movie (that is worth watching) and dinner
9:00pm - Home, watch a little telly
10:30pm - Lights' out and time for bedtime

My life is simple and full - I love it the way it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you manage to go to bed so late and wake up so early?? Hehehe! Lights out is 930 for me!! Or else I would be a walking zombie!

Magdalene said...

I suppose my body's just used to it and also mentally I am aware that if I don't keep to the wake up time, I will miss my train and that would be awful for me!!! hahahah...