Monday, May 31, 2010

A Working Gal's Survivor Soup: Heart Beef and Barley Soup

I am proud that I prepare all 99% of our meals each week and in order for me to achieve that while holding down a job full-time requires organisation.

I am not ashame to add that I love routine. My weekends are filled with household activities such as weekly grocery shopping, catching up tv shows that was recordered during the work week, reading, gardening, etc.

Grocery shopping can be a REAL chore especially after a long day at work, during peak hours, etc. Therefore, I do mine first thing on Saturday or Sunday morning (depending on which weekend-day I am actually at home and not away for work) when the supermarket opens.

As I've had over 10 years of experience in the area of food shopping, I am able to keep to our budget without having a shopping list. How do I know what I'm going to cook? It's all dependent on what's available /  seasonal / special as in sale.

Last weekend as in yesterday, I made 3 different meals for the work week ahead and here's a simple meal that is guaranteed to noursh your family!


Hearty Beef and Barley Soup serves 6

Ingredients

600g Gravy Beef / Shin Beef, cut into bite sized pieces
1 white onion, cut into bite sized pieces
4 carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup barley
2 tbsps vegetable stock powder
4 sprigs of thyme
2 sprigs of rosemary
water
Pepper to taste

  1. In a deep stock pot, place all the prepared ingredient. Add water to adequately cover all the meat and vegetables. Cook on high for 30 minutes and simmer on low for at least 2 hours
  2. Served on its own, with rice or crusty bread on the side
Bon Apetito!


No comments: