Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Quick and Tasty: Japanese Curry

Whenever I am at a Food Court, I find myself gravitating towards the Japanese Food stall either for Sushi or Pork Jap Curry. They are both delicious, filling and hits the right spots in my tum!

One of my meal staples for home is Katsu Don either with Chicken or Pork. Yes, despite making it at home, I still have it when I am at the Food Court. Goes to show how much I love it!

I give you my word that this is so quick, tasty and afforable to make that it will become one of your meal staples too!

Those of us who cook regularly at home will have certain staples in our kitchen pantry. Amongst the various items in mine, are a packet of Panko and a few boxes S & B Golden Curry. They are my live savers!

Even though there're only the two of us, I tend to make meals for four so that we have enough to bring for lunch to work the next day.

Here's my recipe for Katsu Don and hope you will attempt it someday.


Chicken / Pork Japanese Curry serves 4

Ingredients

Preparing the meat
4 pieces of chicken breasts / pork chops, flatten with meat tenderiser tool
2 cups of panko, on a plate
2 cups of plain flour, on a separate plate
1 egg, lightly beaten, on a another plate
Salt and pepper (to marinate the meat with)
1 cup of vegetable oil
(or more depending on the size and  depth of your  fry pan)

Preparing the curry sauce
4 curry cubes
2 carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
2 potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Hot water

Utensils required
1 plate to contain the meat that has been panko crumbed
1 shallow stainless steel fry pan (for shallow frying)
1 stainless steel small pot (for the curry sauce)
1 pair of tongs (to flip the meat while shallow frying)
1 spatula (for cooking the curry)


1. Preparing the sauce: In pot over medium heat, add the oil. When it's slightly smoking, add all the vegetables and brown them for 5 minutes. Add hot water to cover all the vegetables. When it is boiled, add curry cubes and add more water as it thickens until you are please with its consistency. Cook on high and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.

2. In your shallow fry pan, add the oil on medium high heat. While waiting for the heat to reach its temperature (you must do this if not, the meat will absorb too much oil), start on the following step which should take you less then 3 minutes so long as you have prepared all the components before hand as listed above in the 'ingredients' section.

3. Preparing the meat: Dip the flattened marinated meat pieces one at a time in egg, followed by flour and then panko crumbs. Set aside on clean plate.

4. Shallow fry the meat for 3 - 5 minutes on each side (depending on how flat your meat is). Once it is golden brown on both sides, place it on a clean plate with paper towels to absorb the oil.

5. Serve on a plate of rice, with meat on the side and drizzle over with the scumptious curry sauce. Bon Apetito!

2 comments:

simmetra said...

I hope you didn't leave the oil out this time for tanzie! :P

Magdalene said...

HO! HO! HO! I have learnt my lesson!