Monday, May 24, 2010

Congee Comfort

Congee is a meal that I always associate with being unwell, cooler temps and a quick meal when one is not in the mood to cook.

Growing up, I would dread whenever mum made congee because my young taste butts prefered more exciting and flavoursome meals with heaps of salt & spice! However, times have certainly changed.

With each passing year, I find myself leaning towards congee for comfort. I love my congee. It's warm, nutritious, comforting and filling.

If you don't know how to cook congee, please find out for yourself especially if you are of Asian descent!

There are endless combinations with congee and here are some of my favourites:

  • Gai Chook topped with Yow Tiao(cantonese translated to english: Chicken Congee with deep fried fritters)
  • Pei Dan Chook (cantonese translated to english: Century Egg Congee) - yes the black egg that's supposedly being soaked in horse urine for 100 years. It's delish!
  • Gee Yok Chook (cantonese translated to english: Pork Congee) - minced pork balls in congee. Yumo!
  • Raw Sliced Fish Congee (raw sliced fish slices in congee - yum!)
  • Sweet Potato Congee (self explanatory)
  • Plain Congee with raw egg and soy sauce (yes, raw egg - yum!)
  • Plain Congee with Borvil / Vegemite (yes! Yes! Yes!)

What are your favourite combinations?

No comments: