Monday, December 28, 2009

A bountiful Harvest and new seedlings

I had to rip out two salad vegetables as they were tasting rather bitter when they should not be and this is a sure sign that they are at the end of their season.

This has been the wettest Christmas Season and it has been great for planting of new seedlings which I bought on Boxing Day. Yes, while most people venture into the dry air-conditioning comfort of the shopping centres to score themselves bargains. I was at the local nursery taking my own sweet time in selecting seedlings to add to our Kitchen Garden. Of course, I did my homework before hand...all thanks to Stephanie Alexander!

Before I share with you what those seedlings were, please enjoy the progress of my Kitchen Garden to date + the prolific eggplant growers ... I'm looking forward to making Baba Ganoush!



These eggplants were seedlings a mere 4 weeks ago! They love the sun and does not require too much TLC and I have not had any trouble with pests with them either (touch wood!).

So what seedlings have I introduced to my Kitchen Garden Family?



(from Left to Right: 6 seedlings of Radicchio - love the colour, crunchiness and slight bitter taste and 1 Capsicum - if you look closer, you may have already spotted a small green one!) 



(from Left to Right: 6 seedlings of Cos Lettuce, 6 seedlings of Rocket, 6 seedlings of tomatoes)

Why 6 seedlings of each, I hear you ask? Well, that's because that's the number of seedlings one gets at the local nursery that I frequent!

I look forward to harvesting some of them in the next three weeks!!!! Bring on more rain, I say...

No comments: