Thursday, August 5, 2010

Recipe: Spaghetti with Ricotta, Spinach and Rocket

On our way home last night, my better half told me that he did not desire any meat for dinner and on the menu for dinner was BBQ Rump with pan-fried squashed potatoes topped with shaved parmesan and steamed medley of vegetables. Great...now the test. What can I prepare that does not involve meat?

When we got home, I quickly jumped on the elliptical (my first cardio workout for the year - how awful am I?!) for 15 minutes - got to start slow and build it up by 10% every 3 days or else, I will give up very quickly.

Anyway, that was a side track and information that you didn't really need to know.

There I was standing in front of the refrigerator checking out the potential ingredients when I spotted the tub of low fat ricotta! An idea came to mind and that's how the following meal came to fruition.


Spaghetti with Ricotta, Spinach and Rocket serves 4 - 6

Ingredients
500g low fat Ricotta
100g spinach leaves
100g rocket leaves
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
4 sprigs of fresh thyme, just the leaves
Plenty of salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1 packet of spaghetti, cooked till al dente in salted water
1/2 cooking liquid from spaghetti


  1. In a deep serving bowl, add ricotta, lemon juice, 1/4 cup olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well and taste. Add more salt and pepper if desired

  2. Drain the cooked spaghetti and add it to the ricotta mixture in the deep serving bowl. Mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients including the remaining olive oil and cooking liquid. Mix well

  3. Serve immediately on its own
Tip
This is great as an accompaniment to a main meal such as grilled red meat

No comments: