Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bircher muesli with Summer fruits

I am one of those people who need breakfast and cannot function with it. Whenever I'm staying in a hotel, I will take my time to enjoy the array of choices laid out at breakfast time. Besides the hot dishes, I find myself checking out the Bircher muesli which I love - it's healthy, gives you loads of energy and cleans out of your insides too!

Therefore, I thought I might try my hand at making my own! After trawling through different recipes, I have combined the elements that I love (to ensure that it is idiot proof) and here it is:





Ingredients (serves 2)

1/2 cup rolled oats in a deep mixing bowl, soaked in 1 cup water & juice from 1/2 lemon (refrigerate overnight)
2 tbsps best quality vanilla yoghurt
1 tbsp best quality honey
1 green apple, core and grated or slice thinly into matchsticks
4 strawberries, sliced thinly
1 handful of blueberries
1 handful of whole almonds
1 handful of prunes (optional)

  1. Take your soaked roll oats out of the fridge and mix  in the yoghurt, honey and grated apple until well-combined
  2. Serve the mixture in individual bowls and top with the remaining ingredients. Served immediately
Notes and Tips:
Adapt this recipe to suit your tastes or whatever you have lurking in the pantry. Add some shredded coconut, diced dried apricots or currants, seasonal yummy fruit like mango. The combination is endless!

No comments: